P & R Roofing Ltd is a trusted roofing company based in Horspath. We have decades of experience in roof repairs and the installation of flat roofing in Kidlington. Whether dealing with EPDM or bitumen felt, our team of roofing contractors is the best in the business. If you are adding a house extension, updating your garage or undertaking a new-build project, our roofers will help you get it right.
Flat roofing has come a long way since those outdated pour-and-roll systems of the ‘70s and ‘80s.
Modified bitumen technology has led to improved resistance to UV damage, better internal reinforcement as well as superior strength and waterproofing. Likewise, EPDM rubber roofing has become a popular choice among roofers and homeowners across Oxfordshire the UK, thanks to these very same attributes.
As an experienced roofing company, we specialise in both bitumen felt and EPDM flat roofing. Our roofing contractors will manage your project in Kidlington, from conception to completion, and are always on hand to deal with emergency roof repairs.
But how do you choose between a pitched roof and a flat one? There are a number of benefits to both, but the main issues to consider are:
- Cost - The two types of flat roofing that our roofing company offers in Kidlington are both cheaper than traditional pitched roofs, with bitumen felt the least costly option.
- Appearance - EPDM roofs, laid by our professional roofers, look sleek and smooth. Some prefer the natural mineral finish of the bitumen felt roof, which comes in an array of colours. Pitched roofs offer the greatest variety of styles, colours and materials, improving the overall aesthetic of a home.
- Suitability - Flat roofing is better suited to garages and extensions in Kidlington than pitched roofs. Flat roofs are harder to install on uneven rooftops, running the risk of leaking joints. However, both EPDM and bitumen felt roofs installs easily on any new build designed with a flat roof.
- Repairability - When it comes to roof repairs, both types of flat roofing are an easy fix for experienced roofers and roofing contractors. Choose an experienced roofing company for pitched roof repairs as these can be more complicated and costlier due to additional needs, such as scaffolding and expensive replacement materials.
- Damage Resistance – Both pitched and flat roofing can withstand adverse weather conditions in Kidlington. However, when it comes to footfall or ladder usage, EPDM is the most durable option.
- Lifespan – Installed by a professional roofing company, a pitched roof can last around 60 years, depending on the type of tiles and materials used. Bitumen felt lasts 20-30 years, while EPDM is closer to 50 years. Minor roof repairs may be necessary in the meantime.
- Installation - EPDM is simple to install and can be undertaken by a competent DIYer. However, some rubber roofs can shrink over the years. Choosing P & R Roofing Ltd as your flat roofing contractors in Kidlington will ensure that shrinkage is not an issue. Our accredited roofers are insured to work with hot flames, which is necessary for the installation of bitumen felt roofs. Pitched roofs require a far more costly and lengthy installation, but their longer lifespan may even out the expense over the years.
- Sustainability - EPDM roofs are extremely eco-friendly, as they are made from recycled rubber and can be recycled after use. Just like the natural materials used in pitched roofs, EPDM is non-toxic and therefore doesn’t pollute rainwater. However, it is much easier to divert a guttering system on a pitched roof to recycle rainwater.
For all your flat roofing needs – from a new installation to roof repairs – contact our roofing company today.
Call our pitched and flat roofing contractors on 01865 875 523 or 07836 687 672 to make the right choice for your Kidlington home.